On Saturday, 28 JAN 2017, about 2:30pm, I was listening to American Family Radio while driving home from a luncheon meeting. I caught part of an interview where the statement was made that there had been NO (as in zero) murders committed by refugees in the U.S. The speaker was apparently trying to defend the Refugee Resettlement program and shed a disparaging light on President Trump’s latest executive order to suspend the refugee program. I understood the speaker to imply that the American people have nothing to fear from the Refugee Resettlement program.
I was astonished at what I was hearing. When I arrived home, I did a few quick Google searches and found the following cases. This is just a partial list.
If anyone else heard this broadcast, please let me know. If AFR Radio can confirm or clarify what I heard, I would be most appreciative. I am very interested in learning the complete context of this program.
Here is the quick list of what I found:
- Esar Met, a Burmese refugee, was sentenced to life in prison without the chance of parole for the gruesome sexual assault and beating death of a 7-year-old girl in Salt Lake City in 2008.
- ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) OCT 2016: The man who shot and killed a person and shot three others at FreightCar America was identified as 53-year-old Getachew Fekede from Kenya. Fekede came to Virginia in 2011 as part of a refugee program.
- November 28, 2016:Ohio State University, Columbus, OH: Abdul Razak Artan, a Somali refugee drove his car over the curb into a crowd of fellow students. He got out of the car with a butcher knife and started slashing and stabbing people. A campus police officer was very near and shot and killed Artan within one minute of the start of the attack. Eleven students were injured and Artan was fatally injured. ISIS has taken credit for the attack.
- Jasim Mohammed Hasin Ramadon a/k/a Jay Hendrix a/k/a Jay Hendrex, an Iraqi Muslim immigrant, was convicted in JAN 2014 in a horrific, brutal gang rape of a 53-year-old Colorado Springs woman, whom he and four other Muslim immigrants drugged and nearly murdered.
- April, 2014: Salam Al Haideri, 24, of Niskayuna, was found guilty of predatory sex assault and first-degree rape. Al Haideri is the third Middle East refugee — all brought to the Albany, NY Capital Region under the same federally funded resettlement program — to be convicted of a sex crime since 2010.
- A refugee newly arrived from Somalia was tried and convicted for attempting to sexually assault a special-needs woman while she was sitting outside of a home for the disabled in Aberdeen, South Dakota on DEC 20, 2016. Liban Mohamed, 39, was in the United States for only about a week when he tried to force himself on a 31-year-old woman with severe disabilities.
- September 19, 2016:Linden, NJ: A bloody shootout on a New Jersey street ended Monday with the arrest of a suspect in the bomb blast that wounded 29 people in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood. Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28, and two police officers were wounded in the gunfight in Linden—hours after authorities found more explosives at a New Jersey train station, raided an apartment nearby, issued a wanted poster and began to link the blast with other bombs. Rahami, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Afghanistan, was found sleeping in the doorway of a bar. Rahami shot the responding officer – who was wearing a protective vest — in the abdomen. Rahami is a naturalized American citizen who was born in Afghanistan. His family came to the United States as asylum seekers in 1995, when Rahami was seven years old, according to NBC New York.